Emergency Services-FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions About the MDEQ Emergency Services Division

Do you deal with above ground storage tanks or Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) regulations?
No. Those programs are regulated only by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (Bob Rosen @ 404-562-8761)

Do I need permits to transport waste in Mississippi?
For permitting information contact MDEQ Hazardous Waste Division (601) 961-5220 or the Mississippi State Public Service Commission (601) 961-5434.

Who is responsible for the removal of mold in a building?
One can generally find contractors in the Yellow pages or see "Consultants and Laboratories" on our Indoor Air Quality page to find an inspector.

Are there Haz-Mat training facilities in the state?
There are two such facilities in the state:
Mississippi State Fire Academy, Jackson MS - (601) 932-2444
Southeastern Safety Training, Hattiesburg, MS - 1-800-261-0064

Are Emergency Services personnel available for public speaking and/or training workshops?
Yes. Emergency Services personnel are available based on schedules for public speaking engagements to any civic organization, schools, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, etc. To request an Emergency Services speaker contact the MDEQ Emergency Services Office Administrator.

What are Mississippi's clean up levels?
To find state screening and clean up criteria, click here.

Where can I find information regarding mercury in schools?
Environmental Protection Agency, click here.